Sunday 11 January 2009

Things I Fell In Love With Last Year: AU - Verbs (2008)


I spend the summer with one mp3 disc in my walkman, and I never got past the first two albums cycling around our "dirty old town". The two albums in question were A Faulty Chromosome's As An Anorexic's Six Sicks Exit and Portland AU and their orchestral soaring odyssey "Verbs". Its minimal but yet burst with energy, it ebbs and flows from gentle wanderlust guitar to a forrest roar of twenty strong choir (featuring members of Yellow Swans and Parenthetical Girls). Its understated but hypnotic like all my favourite Moondog pieces. Luke Wyland has made an album that I don't think will sound dated in ten,twenty or fifty years time, which can't be said about the majority of the highly praised albums that came out last year, if any.

AU - RR vs. D from Rainbow Dropshadow on Vimeo.

AU - Are Animals.mp3

Buy it HERE or in Europe buy it HERE.

AU are playing Europe in the end of April and May, no Irish shows yet,
If any one has the means to bring them over contract their EU booking
at "MARIE@JULIETIPPEX.COM"
Shit, if no one does maybe Ill get them to play in my concrete box shed.

No comments: